The Elms Blog
Enjoying Fall at The Elms
The Restorative Effects of Nature for Seniors
It’s Fall foliage season at The Elms! The benefits of fresh air and sunshine for people of all ages have been well-known for a long time. Recent research on the impact of therapeutic landscapes for older adults has shown that even for those with limited mobility or those who are living with memory loss, the positive effects can create remarkable improvements in everyday life, including:
- Better physical health
- More positive attitude
- Better concentration
In Tune with Nature Everyday
The Elms campus allows for safe access to sunshine and fresh air whenever convenient. Residents can take in the views from our beautiful wraparound porches and courtyards, providing a lovely spot for visiting with friends or family, reading, or pursuing a hobby.
Westerly’s Stunning Natural Beauty
Westerly is one of the most beautiful seaside locations in Rhode Island. Although it is widely known as a summer place it is a wonderful place to live or visit all year round, with many “green” and “blue” spaces that are thought to promote health and wellbeing.
A Short Walk or Drive from The Elms
- Wilcox Park – an oasis of natural beauty located in the heart of charming and historic downtown Westerly
- Watch Hill Lighthouse Museum – a small, historic jewel located at the southern most tip of Rhode Island
- Napatree Point Conversation Area – a wildlife preserve featured by the Audubon Society as an important area for year-round bird-watching
- Westerly Land Trust – maintaining many conversation properties, with several short and easily traversed trails, as well as a community garden and ice rink
- Gorgeous public beaches, inlcuding:
- Westerly Town Beach
- Wuskenau Beach
- Misquamitcut State Beach
- Watch Hill Beach
- Dunes Park Beach
- East Beach
Weekly Scenic Drives Throughout Autumn
We offer two scenic drives per week for our residents for ample opportunity to take in the colors of fall. All drives are coordinated by our Activities Director and professional drivers.
If you’d like to learn more about our staff helps to ensure residents are getting out and enjoying the abudunant natural beauty of our campus and our town, please call (401) 596-4630 or contact us today to arrange a tour.
Providing Safe, Comfortable, and Empowered Lifestyles
Enjoy the charm of victorian architecture, spacious and relaxing community rooms and outdoor spaces, a vibrant and historic downtown and local community, and award-winning care that is always close at hand.