The Elms Blog
A Fragrant Start to 2019
Saturday, January 26th
We’re kicking off 2019 with an event that focuses on the power of Aromatherapy to help with physical and emotional wellness, including:
- Uplifting the mood
- Helping to soothe or relax
- Promoting positive emotions
- Getting a better night’s sleep
Featuring doTERRA Essential Oils
doTERRA Wellness Advocate Maureen Thibodeau will be highlighting essential oils related to aging and cognition. Products available at this presentation will include oils, oil blends and oil accessories.
Because every person is different, an Aromatherapy regime should reflect individual preferences, circumstances, and goals. Maureen will be able to help residents and attendees identify which oils may work best for different moods.
Essential oils can be a safe and natural alternative to managing negative emotions. The oils are generally simple to use, which accounts for their popularity through the ages. Best practices for use will also be covered, including:
- Topically, such as applying to pulse points or in message
- Aromatically, such as when used in a diffuser or inhaled through steam
Aromatherapy and Alzheimer’s
The scientific study of aromatherapy as an aid in the management of anxiety, mood disorders and certain forms of pain has increased dramatically, with 10,520 publications just from 2001 to 2016.
This large body of research has provided strong evidence that aromatherapy combined with psychological treatment can be a safe and effective alternative to pharmacological treatment for the management of Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia (BPSD).
These symptoms include:
- Agitation and aggression
- Psychotic manifestations with consequent stress
- Increased pain perception
- Decreased quality of life
Two essential oils in particular have been shown to aid in the management of BPSD; these ancient oils are also the most popular essential oils used in the treatment of BPSD:
- Lavender essential oil, used traditionally to induce relaxation, has been shown to be effective as a mood stabilizer, sleeping aid, and pain reliever
- Lemon balm essential oil, used traditionally to calm the heart and body, research has shown it effective for reducing agitation and anxiety, and improving the quality of sleep
Please Join Us
This resident demonstration is also open to the public, so if you are curious about the benefits of essential oils for seniors, please feel free to stop by. We are also happy to conduct a tour of our campus for those interested in assisted living, independent senior living or memory care facilities.
Call (401) 596-4630 or send an email to RSVP and/or to arrange a tour.
Providing Safe, Comfortable, and Empowered Lifestyles
Enjoy the charm of victorian architecture, spacious and relaxing community rooms and outdoor spaces, a vibrant and historic downtown and local community, and award-winning care that is always close at hand.